Extending a big hello to all our Pre-Kindy families on FUN-tastic Friday!! We hope you have all had a good day so far. Today all our friends had lots of fun.
During indoor group time we looked at and discussed pictures of snakes, frogs and lizards – one of our favourite interest areas at the moment! We then had a very good look at the X-Ray images of the same animals. The children were fascinated to see inside/under the animal’s skin! This led to a discussion about bones and spines, and how we all have them. When we sat on the group mat again, some of the children tried to find their friend’s spine. The children were very intrigued to learn more about their bodies and the importance of the spine for walking/staying upright etc.
Scientific interest in these types of matters aligns with Learning Outcome 4.2 of the Early years Learning Framework, which states that: “Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, inquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigating.” Additionally, Learning Outcome 4.4 outlines how “Children resource their own learning through connecting with people, place, technologies and natural and processed materials.”
Other interesting activities today included:
- Making lady beetles from red and black cardboard, paste and black paint – great concentration Maia, Ivy, Harvey and Zahra
- Making yellow flower and green leaf collages – a favourite with William and Harley: both boys really enjoy using their scissors to cut things into very small pieces. Scissor work is such an important pre-writing skill to develop, and also assists with necessary school skills such as doing up/undoing zippers, unpacking lunches, doing up shoes etc.
- Jamal really enjoyed working with the playdough today; rolling it into balls and poking coloured matchsticks in it to make a hedgehog
- Small Lego construction – Kaylee and Ellie worked together to combine the Lego bases with small wooden dolls so that the Lego bases became beds and blankets – very creative girls!
- Funky Feet dance class with Miss Jeni. Ollie was so fast on the jumping mat – he really is very agile and thoroughly enjoys himself whilst dancing. Well done everyone for making such good attempts at listening and following the dance sequences so well.
Please don’t forget that there is a parent/educator get together on Monday evening for interested parents. We have a guest speaker between 5.30 pm – 6.00 pm, followed by a “meet and greet” in the Pre-Kindy room between 6.00pm – 6.30 pm.
Miss Donna and Miss Livia hope you have a very happy and safe weekend. Looking forward to seeing you all next week! 😊